Thu, Jul 13|
Hillfolk Noir w/ Gregory Rawlins
Doors open 5:30pm, shows start at 6pm. $3 before 7pm, $8 after...
Time & Location
Jul 13, 5:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Hood River, 13 Railroad Street, Hood River, OR 97031, USA
All Ruins Tuesdays & Thursday shows are $3 cover if you arrive before 7pm, and $8 cover if you arrive after that. Doors open at 5:30pm. No early entry please! We aren’t ready for you until 5:30pm….
"Grooving. Raucous. Genre-bending. And always a ton of fun...
Built on more than 15 years of tradition, today’s Hillfolk Noir takes their acoustic guitar, double bass, and “anything you can find at a hardware store” sound and integrates driving drums and an electrified sound, kicking down limitations to create a vibe that goes beyond their Americana “junkerdash” roots. Want to call it bluegrass’s trouble-making cousin? Fine by us. A bit of string-band blues? Sure ‘nuff. A concoction of electrified rockin’ soulful folksy witchcraft mayhem? Now you’re talking, mama.
The indelible through-line is rooted in the band’s song craftsmanship. From mountains of frontman Travis Ward’s ragged, spiral-bound notebooks comes the hard and tender. They can blow the roof off the place or draw you around the fire with their earnest musical narratives of the back alleys, the open range, and the front porch. They paint with sound the earnest stories about the lives of lovers, law-breakers, and the lion-hearted. Heroes and outcasts alike.
Hailing from Boise, Idaho, the always young-at-heart Hillfolk Noir has been carving their own musical path for 15 years. Grab a cup of juice and ease on down to enjoy these newfound Hillfolk vibes. “If John Steinbeck owned a speakeasy,” said John Doe (X, the Knitters), “Hillfolk Noir would be the house band.”"
Things to note:
- This year there will be no re-entry once you have paid and entered the show. We will be creating a smoking-area that will be accessible without having to leave the property.
- There is limited seating available, so if having a seat/table is important to you, we suggest arriving when the doors open at 5:30pm.
- There will be no longer be a Locals Thursday series. We’re changing Thursdays to just mirror what we do on Tuesdays, with touring, regional, and national bands. We will still have plenty of local talent gracing our stage this year in support roles.
- We still don’t allow dogs! Dogs are great, but it would be dog madness if we let them attend shows. We’d also really prefer if you didn’t leave them unattended in your vehicle.
- Outside alcohol is NOT ALLOWED! Violators will be 86’d and publicly shamed. We keep our costs absurdly low, so we see bringing in outside alcohol as an insult and amateurish behavior.
- The parking lot does NOT belong to The Ruins. Yes, the actual owners of the parking lot expect you to pay to park. It’s usually about $4. It’s not our deal. We highly encourage people to walk, ride their bikes, or carpool. This year we will have a massively larger bike rack available as well.
- Tail-gating is not allowed in the Mt Hood Railroad parking lot. They are implementing a “no open containers” policy for their entire lot. Please respect their wishes and help us to maintain a positive relationship with our community and neighbors.
- We do rent out the Grotto Bar and/or the Indoor Bar during concerts, for birthdays, business receptions, etc. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Ruins Tuesdays are May through August. Ruins Thursdays are June through August. For other non-Tues/Thurs concerts, please see our website at www.theruins.org/music-calendar